Our Origins
Facts & Findings
Matteson DNA Project
Related Links
Contact Us

Laban Matteson
Laban Matteson
1812 - 1888



John Anthony Brown

Source of the following article is a documentary history of the Bailey Family written in March 1895 by a descendant. The irregularities in the text come from the fact the writer was using an early typewriter and wasn't very experienced, plus ink was expensive. She wrote exactly what she saw in the record books at the time. Her name was Hannah C. Bailey Hopkins. The history was published March 1895.

By Marge Matteson

JOHN ANTHONY BROWN, son of Seth and Polly (Matteson) Brown, b. Apr. 10, 1835; m. Jan. 8, 1853, Lu- cinda Matteson; she was b. Aug. 8, 1834, d. Apr. 13, 1895. He owned and occupied the farm on the opposite side of the highway from the Plain Meeting House, so called, in West Greenwich, R. 1. He had a store in connection with his house for several years. He was a member of the town council of West Greenwich for a number of years, and was also a member of the General Assembly in 1885-86. Dur- ing the War he served three years and three months in Company F, 18th Regiment Connecticut Volunteers, and was taken prisoner at the battle of Winchester, June 13, 1863. He had been engaged quite extensively in the lum- ber business for a number of years. On the morning of Dec. 3 1894, at about io o'clock, the steam boiler connected with his saw mill at Greene, R. I., exploded with terrific force. Mr. Brown and a Mr. Scott, his assistant, were in- stantly killed. The fireman and two others were seriousl~ injured. The funeral of Mr. Brown was solemnized on Friday, Dec. 7, at the Plain Meeting House. A large gath- ering of'relatives and friends attended the services. He was buried at the Plain Cemetery near the church.

Return to Articles


Contact Us | About | AUP | Privacy | Copyright | Site Map

Copyright © 2002-2018 matteson.us All Rights Reserved